Are we experiencing a new renaissance. Our lives HAVE changed… probably forever.
There are so many changes in process most of us never thought of…
• Air Travel
• Work hours
• Work Place
• Work at Home
• Socialism (IN SPADES) for everyone; mostly the big kids.
• Waste not, want not; at least as to TP
• Greed (not yet, but soon)
• Retirement homes
• Gig jobs (probably didn’t get many bail-out $)
• Is the economic engine too finely tuned with no ‘wiggle room’ remaining
• Supply chains – What the …?
• International dependence
• Gov’t cutting costs…at any price
• Highly leveraged investments
The virus has brought all these topics, and many more, forward. Some of us -including the planet- see it as a blessing. We are reminded of what John Donne (1572-1631) wrote in Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, Meditation XVII. ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls… IT TOLLS FOR THEE’, and me.
“No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were; any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”
But we are almost there. When one of our friends gets the virus, we start to think. And, when someone in a bum-fuck country (quoting our so called president), we can now see how true Donne’s words are today. It indeed ‘Tolls for Thee’.
Author & Blogger